Thursday, September 4, 2008

a ho hum life

(a photo of the street i live on)

today, not a lot happened except that i lived my Chinese life. got the students all set up with their teachers and the program in the morning, had a big bowl of hand made potsickers for about $1.50 for lunch, then had the whole day to myself. nice! since yesterday i spent the entire day (8:30 am to 9:30pm) riding a chartered bus to Shanghai and back to pick up the remainder of my students who flew into the Shanghai airport. whew! it was just as long as i had expected.

somehow the "sup" who sits at the gate all day long in my "gated" community, knew that i had been to shanghai cause he was asking me about it today. not much gets by the folks in my complex as i'm the only foreigner living here. i feel a little watched, but maybe that has its advantages for safety reasons.

my maid came by today when i was here. she is a sweet thing. but she did inform me that keeping packages of cookies and crackers in the fridge is not OK. i put them there for fear of inviting cockroaches. she told me several times that this is not where one keeps crackers/cookies. i just told her that i was a bit strange in my American ways and left them in there. she was also perplexed as to why i hadn't put anything in the laundry basket yet. (i was gone all day yesterday and have yet to sort through everything) i am doing my white laundry (9:00 pm) as i write - in the washer - so that it can all dry and be put away before she shows up at 5pm tomorrow. it's kinda fun. whoever thought i'd have to sneak to do my laundry?

well off to hang it all before i go to bed. all is swell, all is swell.

1 comment:

E Ryser said...

WHAT? I miss a few days of looking at your blog and all of the sudden you have a maid AND you have eaten at Mickey D's. Wow. Wish I had a maid....
AND I still love your camera!