Saturday, August 30, 2008

PRC arrived!!

I arrived in Nanjing today without much of a hitch. The plane from HK to Nanjing was 30 minutes late (which was much better than the 3 hours I had expected. )

Then there was that smoking section in the back of the plane I had forgotten about. Fortunately, I was near the front. Exactly how does one cabin of a plane divide into smoking and non-smoking??

There was a minor stop to search my backpack at customs, this made me a little nervous as I had a Chinese triple scriptures stuffed deep inside. Once I started talking Chinese to the officer he barely glanced at what was in my backpack and went on about how surprised as to how good my Chinese was. (not uncommon, even if one says one word in Chinese they are surprised.) More than once my Chinese has got me better seats and through some sticky moments this trip.

As far as I could tell through the heavy fog and rain Nanjing has change remarkably since I was last here in '94. THEY HAVE AN IKEA!! I can't believe it. Just might have to visit it when I need a piece of the West.

It's late though and I've had a long day. More to tell tomorrow. It's exciting to be back in the PRC. Lv to all who are reading!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smoking sections on planes. I remember when that was true of US planes as well. My mother was a smoker. We sat in the smoking section when we travelled. I'm also remembering a conversation among a US Air crew overheard on an airport shuttle. They were discussing the sale of the company's older planes that no longer met FAA standards to China. A common practice among airlines apparently as a friend who is a pilot for Delta confirmed it. Think I'll stick with the trains for internal travel when I get there. :-)

The Cottle Family said...

I love that you started your own blog, you are so busy!!! Looks like alot of fun. Love April