Sunday, August 31, 2008

Nanjing -


I’m going on my 3rd day in China, but really I’ve only had one full day as I arrived late on Sat. night and am just starting today’s adventures. See photos (below) for some of my first observations of the amazing city of Nanjing. For those who don’t know where I am (as I am sometimes confused as well), Nanjing is a city about a 2 hour fast train ride west of Shanghai. Shanghai being the middle city down the East coast of China. The city is right on the Yangtze river, a river about the size of the Mississippi. This city has typically been a major port for trade and commerce as cargo boats run up and down the river stopping here to trade. Because of it’s location it has also been home to several dynasty’s Emperors. Back in the day when the “other” government was in charge, the Kuomintang (that is now in Taiwan), (late 1800s-early 1900s) it was the capital city of China (the capital city was later moved to Beijing when the Communists took over – 1949). It has a long history and we are here to explore and learn about it.

Yesterday was Sunday so I had the day to myself, as no one works on Sunday and was available to help me find an apartment. I spent all morning trying to get my computer to like the internet connection at the hostel I am staying at. By noon I had had a nap already and had done a fair share of cursing Chinese technology before I had even left my room! It wasn’t the best way to start off in China. I finally had to revert to borrowing a wireless connection at the coffee shop across the way ~ the only problem with that is that I am obligated to order something from them since I sat there for two hours. but I was hungry so it was OK. After eating, talking to Mom and Dad, a friend or two and sending a some emails I felt better – Hello! My name is Julie, Chinese name Zhuo Liyu, I’m an internet –acholic.

For the afternoon I went a walkin’. I ended up with two maps (one Chinese and one mostly English) and was trying use my camera when I could. Mostly people didn’t know that I was documenting their street life for all of America to see, but the owner of a fruit stand caught me gearing up to shoot and she yelled out to me that it was NOT OK. I tried to reason with her that I was only taking photos to show my family, but she gave me the what for and sent me on my way. I suppose she doesn’t know that I truly am not an American spy working for the government.

It has been 14 years since I was here as a student. The Nanjing University campus is just as beautiful as I remember. I am looking forward to working there for the next several months. Buying a bike is critical since that way I can get around town much easier. One guy that runs a little bike fix it place (outdoors on the street) said he would sell me a used one for 100 yuan (about $15). I’m going to shop around and see if I can find a “better deal”…… things are sooooo cheap in China!!

Last night I went out with the students and some others who have arrived. We went for dinner in the neighborhood at a fairly decent place. 3 guys, a girl, her mom and a friend of theirs. We had a feast! It was yummy tofu, mutton, a huge bowl of pork soup (with the large bones in it) and lots of rice. Not even the guys could finish it all ~ paid about $29 for all of us to eat. I pay that for 1 meal for myself in the States! If you want to feel rich move to China.

So far I am working on getting ‘oriented.’ I hope today to locate an apartment and move out of suitcases for a time. My students are so excited to be here, as am I. What a great opportunity. I love it! Even though I get stared at all the time and some folks are freaked out if I even speak Mandarin to them, as they think I expect them to speak English, it’s great to be back.

(PS – I’m putting this up from a public computer in the lobby of the hostel and as I post this a guy is watching right over my shoulder. I asked him a couple times how he was doing and if he wanted to use the machine, NO – just wants to watch over my shoulder – not a lot of personal space in China.)

No comments: